Andalucía

Córdoba has one of the most unique Islamic buildings, which began as a Christian church around 600 AD, was replaced by a mosque that included some Visgothic and Roman ruins, and was later converted back into a cathedral. This is known as the Mezquita. Here’s a glimpse of its splendor.




The other impressive Moorish structure is a fortress known as the Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs, also built on top an earlier Moorish palace. What I loved best about this amazing place, however, were the gardens.






The narrow cobblestone streets of Córdoba with the wafting scent of orange blossoms remind me of something very primal that I can’t describe. It’s truly magical.

Sevilla is our current spot, a slightly larger city with as much beauty, antiquity and heat. My feet are complaining but my eyes are not. Sevilla has its own Alcazar, which was one of the largest palaces in Europe during its heyday, circa 1600 (after having conquered the Moors).




I can’t get enough of these tiles, alabaster and wood carvings. I imagine many craftsmen spent their entire lives working on some corner of the palace, so that Isabela and Ferdinand could have the finest. Some things in human history never change. But the beauty doesn’t go unappreciated.

The Plaza de España in Sevilla looks like Venice doesn’t it? It also has some lovely more recent tile work, and the Avila sisters couldn’t resist doing some advertising of the family name…


Yesterday we did a day trip to Jerez, for sherry tasting and an Andalusian equestrian show. The horses were impressive, though Spaniards aren’t necessarily known for their humane treatment of animals and I have to wonder what it takes to get horses to prance around like ballerinas. As a former horseback rider, I have mixed feelings. Horses are such sensitive, intelligent creatures and capable of so much. But I have to admit, I loved watching them perform.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birth of the Dream

Viva España: Part 2

Flamenco, Flan & Figs