In Search of the Granada of my Dreams

I made it out of my COVID isolation onto the Granada train, and was able to join my sister and cohort a couple of days ago. They’d been waiting around for me to arrive and were chomping at the bit to get out of the apartment and go sightseeing. I was too, in spirit, but my lungs were protesting as we clamored up the hills of the Albaicin (Arabic historic neighborhood). Well worth the wheezing, we happened upon an impromptu flamenco music performance at the top of the hill, and some spectacular views of La Alhambra in the distance.


We took a break from the hot Spanish sun and had tea among the hookah smokers—what ambiance!



The next day I was excited to at last experience what I’ve been looking forward to for a good 40 years: La Alhambra! I’d pictured wandering around, imagining myself in some Arabian Nights reverie. But the joy of traveling diminishes when you find yourself being herded along like sheep by your tour guide. He was actually extremely knowledgeable and I learned so much about the history. The Alhambra was like a city within its compound, including not just royalty, but also craftsmen, gardeners, artists, servants and their families. Granada, which means pomegranate, was put on the Western map by Washington Irving, and became a popular spot for many 19th and 20th century writers and artists. We went around snapping obligatory photos, but I can’t help feeling that I missed some transcendence that I might have experienced had I seen it 40 years ago. Perhaps next time I will visit in January or February, though the oranges and pomegranates won’t be in bloom…













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birth of the Dream

Viva España: Part 2

Flamenco, Flan & Figs